Published: 30th December 2020
VPG|EXETER IMMUNOTHERAPY VACCINE ORDERING INSTRUCTIONS
Following discussions with the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD) we have instituted new arrangements for the provision of immunotherapy.
In the first instance please contact the laboratory to discuss allergen requirements and agree the order request.
There are no licensed veterinary allergen-specific immunotherapy vaccines currently available in the UK.
Consequently we source a vaccine which is licensed in Europe and imported from within the EU. The importation of this product must follow guidelines detailed in the Veterinary Medicines Regulations 2005 and requires a Special Import Certificate (SIC).
Veterinary practices must apply directly to the VMD for a SIC for each patient receiving immunotherapy. The holder of the SIC must be a veterinary surgeon and it is their responsibility to ensure the conditions of the SIC are upheld.
How to apply for a SIC online:
- Go to the VMD website: www.vmd.defra.gov.uk and select ‘Apply for a special import’
- Select the small circle for ‘I am a veterinary surgeon and want to import a product from outside the UK’ then click ‘Next’.
- Enter your 6-8 digit RCVS registration number, then click ‘Lookup RCVS No’
- Select your practice. (If you have not registered with the VMD before you will need to click on the ‘Register Practice’ link and follow instructions). Then click ‘Next’.
- Product : select relevant product (if unsure of the name of the vaccine contact VPG|Exeter). Country of origin – Netherlands
- Species : select correct species then click ‘Next’.
- Part of the next page will be automatically prefilled.
- Your Reference : enter animal name and owner surname
- No of animals : enter ‘1’
- Total amount : either 10ml or 20ml. Then click ‘Next’.
- Proposed Importer Details : (NB. VPG|Exeter is not the importer). The importer is NOT the same as the applicant so DO NOT tick the box. Instead search through the drop down list of Importers and Click on ‘Vetruus Ltd’ then Click ‘Next’.
- Declaration: check that all the details are correct and tick all the boxes to confirm that you agree with the declaration. Click ‘Next’ to complete.
The SIC will be emailed to the address on the Declaration. It can be saved/printed immediately.
Once received please email all pages of SIC together with a signed written prescription to VPG|Exeter ([email protected]) .
Either download and complete the Immunotherapy Prescription Form from the VPG|Exeter website, (click on Immunotherapy Prescription Form) or use your own written prescription on practice headed paper.
Please note that while the immunotherapy is ordered through VPG|Exeter, to comply with VMD guidance the product belongs to the practice and at no point is stored or handled at the laboratory.
The product will be delivered by courier directly to the practice, usually within 2 weeks. It should be stored in the fridge upon receipt and must not be frozen.
Please contact the laboratory if you require further assistance and we will be happy to help.
Tel. 01392 247914